Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Troy Built Horse tiller older engine blow up. What to do.

stryped wrote:

Do you know if these are direct bolt in replacements? Shaft size and
everythign correct? I have no idea on what I currently have.

Yup! Direct replacement!

Think about that.

If you have not positively ID'd the engine, how, really, would we know
if the engine in the catalog is a direct replacement?

Figure out what you have, and what is actually wrong with it (to
determine whether it amounts to a simple repair, or a cost effective
transplant case) and take notes.

Horizontal or vertical shaft?

Shaft diameter and length? Connection method?

Any numbers stamped into the case?

Model number of the tiller?

Accessories like tanks and mufflers are easy enough to butcher into a
workable solution. Buying a motor with a tapered stub of a output shaft,
is going to leave you kinda ****ed, if what you need is a straight shaft
with a keyway on it.

If you need (or want ) a tiller, a brand new engine on the old one is
a far cheaper option than a new tiller.
A new engine may well be cheaper than the new parts, even if the
engine is not completely kacked, if you are stuck choosing between
dealer parts and a surplus store engine.

Cheers
Trevor Jones