Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Troy Built Horse tiller older engine blow up. What to do.

Carl Boyd wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 1:35 pm, "BillM" wrote:
"stryped" wrote in
I will do that. It did kind of make a "clanking"
sound. It also put
out some white smoke. After it died, I checked
the oil and it was bone
dry. (I know i am an idiot).

What brand of engine is it? Most of the old
Troy-Bilt's used cast iron Kohler's.
One heck of a tough engine, but not tough enough
to run without oil!

It is a techumseh. So if it is a rod, would it be possible for me to
replace it and everythign be good to go?

If you ran it dry, it is highly likely that there is other damage than a
rod. I have had 3 rods break on small gas engines and all 3 times there was
significant galling on the crank shaft rod journal (which I believe is what
broke the rod). It's free to open up the engine and look, but I expect it
is not economical to repair.

New engines

6hp recoil start $149 (Someone on RCM was recently saying they had shoulder
problems and couldn't use a recoil start, if that's you this won't work.
But if you can't pull start a 6hp I don't tink you should be running a
roto-tiller at all)
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...atname=engines

6hp with electric start $329
http://www.tons-of-tools.com/tecumse...rt-p-3135.html

I have no idea of the replacement cost of a troy built equivalent.

CarlBoyd

Northern Tool carries a large array of engines, many in their retail
stores if there is one near you. Should be very easy to replace if it's
a pretty standard engine.