Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Troy Built Horse tiller older engine blow up. What to do.

On Jul 11, 1:26*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
stryped wrote:
... *it made a metallic sound
then died. It has no compression when pulling the recoil starter.

Good chance that you "threw" the connecting rod. *If it didn't punch a
hole in the crankcase (which you *probably* would have noticed), it is
readily repaired.

Easy check: take the spark plug out, turn it over (by hand). *If you
don't see the piston moving, the rod is gone. *Then check back here.

Bob

I will do that. It did kind of make a "clanking" sound. It also put
out some white smoke. After it died, I checked the oil and it was bone
dry. (I know i am an idiot).