Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tinting CA?

On Jul 11, 9:39 am, mac davis wrote:

Hmm... where would you get toner in small quantities, Robert...
I like the idea, but after spending almost $200 on 2 black laser cartridges in
the States yesterday, I'm wondering how and where to get small quantities..

We have a few Office Depot stores here, and from time to time they
will put a lone bottle of Xerox or some other brand of copier toner
that is discontinued out at a huge discount. Sometimes they even have
colored toners as well. The price isn't always an issue on though as
one bottle lasts forever making it a good investment.

When a buddy of mine was at work one day, the copier guys showed up
for his routine monthly service call, and he gave my buddy about 1/2
of the stuff left over in the bottle after filling the reservoir in
the machine. He gave that to me.

I just take all the black stuff I collect and put it in a squeeze
bottle, all mixed up. A couple of good whiffs from the bottle when
mixing is all it takes. And since it goes so far, it lasts forever.

One idea I had that I was going to try but haven't gotten to yet was
to use Rit powdered cloth dye. Seems like it should work, and for a
couple of bucks a shot you could get an whole palette of colors.

If you try the 5 minute epoxy, remember that you still need to let it
set up for about 24 hours before you can final sand and polish it up.
Five minutes is the pot life only, and after that it is like any other
epoxy.

Good point... I use epoxy when I have too, but I'm not very patient..
Give me 2 or 3 thickness's of CA and a can of aerosol accelerator and I'm
there..lol

I hear you loud and clear on that! One of the great things about
woodturning is that you can finish your projects (or come close,
depending) the same day you start.

But if I am making lamps, I usually make them about five at a time, so
I have this "assembly line" mentality anyway.

That reminds me... I have about 3 months before my Christmas season
starts...

Robert