Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Tinting CA?

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:46:30 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I never had luck with color matches using wood powder. I doesn't
stand out as much when the whole piece is finished but still not
satisfactory. No matter what I do, you can see the fills.

Yep.. that's why, like you, I try to contrast instead of hide..

So now, when I fill a piece, the filled areas become "features". Ta -
dah!

I had good luck with color copier toners. Nothing else seems to work
that well for me.

I know you are asking about using CA, but I didn't do all that well
with CA as the filler (except with black toner) so I switched to 5
minute epoxy.

Hmm... where would you get toner in small quantities, Robert...
I like the idea, but after spending almost $200 on 2 black laser cartridges in
the States yesterday, I'm wondering how and where to get small quantities..

I use a lot of mesquite for different little gizmos like lamp pulls,
small candle sticks, etc., to give as gifts and to sell. As you know,
mesquite has a lot of problems with windshake, which makes lines
similar to spalting, but are really cracks. They also have several
borers in this area that love the stuff as well as termites.

So I found the more gnawed up the piece was the more interesting it
became when filled. Black is a natural color for mesquite filler and
it can really look beautiful. I rough turn several shapes to near
final, then sand to about half way, then mix up the epoxy and put some
toner in it and mix.

I had a friend give me a small bottle of toner which has lasted for
years, but until I go that I used toner that I took out of old laser
jet cartridges that couldn't be recycled.

I'm thinking that instead of mailing in the old cartridge, I'll pull the
remaining toner out.. very carefully..

I had a friend that had a toner refilling business that died from what it did to
his lungs and heart over the years..

I used red with the epoxy, and it looked OK, but the black still looks
the classiest. I haven't tried any other colors but I know others are
available on the net.

I have used powdered key filings (interesting) with both CA and epoxy,
as well as espresso grind coffee. The espresso grind mix worked great
as it didn't polish to a super high gloss like pure resins from the CA
and epoxy mix. It leaves a little bit of texture that makes the
filled area look more natural.

I'm doing a large bowl now using CA/brass filings...
It looks really cool, but the brass is hard as hell on my buffing wheels and
turns them black.. yuk..
It's a really nice effect, though, as it looks almost like gold nuggets in the
cracks and knots..

If you try the 5 minute epoxy, remember that you still need to let it
set up for about 24 hours before you can final sand and polish it up.
Five minutes is the pot life only, and after that it is like any other
epoxy.

Good point... I use epoxy when I have too, but I'm not very patient..
Give me 2 or 3 thickness's of CA and a can of aerosol accelerator and I'm
there..lol

Thanks for the tips, Robert..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing