Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Tinting CA?

In message
,
" writes

I have used powdered key filings (interesting) with both CA and epoxy,
as well as espresso grind coffee. The espresso grind mix worked great
as it didn't polish to a super high gloss like pure resins from the CA
and epoxy mix. It leaves a little bit of texture that makes the
filled area look more natural.

If you try the 5 minute epoxy, remember that you still need to let it
set up for about 24 hours before you can final sand and polish it up.
Five minutes is the pot life only, and after that it is like any other
epoxy.

I also found the epoxy worked out MUCH cheaper than CA.

Robert

I have used the epoxy method loaded with metal powder - copper,
aluminium, brass etc., and if gives a nice finish, but you really need
to ensure you use the correct ratio of hardener to resin otherwise it
may not cure. It might need a little experimentation as the filler
affects the cure. I used a 50/50 mix but with copper powder added, in a
rather small quantity, it still stayed soft.

As to using CA, first, as you mention its more expensive. Second it
tends to dry brittle, so if the wood moves it could crack, ( the smaller
the piece of wood then relatively less movement), and third using it in
large quantities, can be uncomfortable, if not potentially dangerous to
personal health. I used a whole bottle in an experiment the other week,
and found it caused my eyes to sting, similarly to the effect Ammonia
would have, I suspect its the fumes drawing on the moisture of the eyes,
and that was 1 minute exposure
--
John