Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Craftsman Lathe Tailstock

I likely have the same lathe under the Canadian Tire brand name,
Mastercraft. One of the best things you can do for the lathe is dump the
original tail center and get a new one. You are half way there :-) Pick up a
#1 Morse taper live tail center almost anywhere that sells woodturning
supplies and off you go.
Is this the one?
http://aroundthewoods.com/woodturnin...glathes02.html

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"woodslave" wrote in message
I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave