Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Installing Drywall

"John" wrote in message
In getting ready to hang the drywall for my basement and just need a
few clarifications. I thought you were supposed to butt the sheets
together but I have been reading some articles that say to leave a
1/8" gap between them, which is correct?

I was planning on hanging the sheets vertically, do you really cut the
number of seems in half by going horizontally? Is one better than the
other? The walls are 14.3 x 23.7 and 9 feet high( I'm installing a
drop ceiling so not going to the top is not a concern)
Thanks
John

You have received several good responses. I will add just add a couple of
points.

IMO, horizontal runs are better because it easier to finish the long taped
joint on a horizontal plane than a vertical.

Staggered butt joints are not a problem unless you make them so by applying
too much mud at one time. The first rule of drywall finishing is never get
in a hurry and glob on a lot of mud at one time. Do it in layers. Bed and
cover the tape with the mud, leave it alone until it dries or sets and then
come back to feather it out.

Personally, I use a 4" taping knife to embed the paper tape and then use a
6" knife for all the rest. I do use an IS corner tool because it allows me
finish the corners in one long stroke.

Colbyt