Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Installing Drywall

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:32:53 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

In getting ready to hang the drywall for my basement and just need a
few clarifications. I thought you were supposed to butt the sheets
together but I have been reading some articles that say to leave a
1/8" gap between them, which is correct?

I don't leave a gap between sheets, but I leave a 1/2" gap between the
bottom of the drywall and floor (not sure why, I was taught).

I was planning on hanging the sheets vertically, do you really cut the
number of seems in half by going horizontally? Is one better than the
other? The walls are 14.3 x 23.7 and 9 feet high( I'm installing a
drop ceiling so not going to the top is not a concern)
Thanks
John

You can hang drywall vertically or horizontally. I find the vertical
method much easier, unless you have a helper to lift the drywall.