Posted to alt.home.repair
pc_whocares pc_whocares is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton Rewind Starter Service

On Jul 9, 7:20 am, Joe wrote:
On Jul 8, 2:15 pm, pc_whocares wrote:

The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

The noise you heard was from terminal wear. Install a new assembly.
Forty years of service for a sprag clutch unit is really all you can
expect.

Joe

Joe, what do you mean by "terminal wear"?

thanks