Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs & Stratton Rewind Starter Service

The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 2:15*pm, pc_whocares wrote:
The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. *I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. *I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

It should be dry...the balls need to be free (boxer vs.briefs thing)!

They jam when starting and are held out by centrifugal force when
disengaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 2:15*pm, pc_whocares wrote:
The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. *I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. *I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

Also, clean the end of the crank-shaft (rusted?) that the square
sleeve fits over and lightly oil that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 8, 2:15*pm, pc_whocares wrote:
The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. *I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. *I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

The noise you heard was from terminal wear. Install a new assembly.
Forty years of service for a sprag clutch unit is really all you can
expect.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tip the engine on its side, so the rewind is on top. Pull the three bolts,
lift the spring assembly off.

Take the clutch asembly apart, and clean the end of the crank shaft, and
inside the almost square thing. Clean with solvent (gasoline, ronsonol,
etc.) and q-tips. Squirt some graphite or silicone into the almost square
sleeve, and slip it on the crank shaft.

Put the five balls in, spaced around. And then the washer that holds the
balls in place. Put the pullcord assembly back on, and then the three bolts.

Tip engine back up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pc_whocares" wrote in message
The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very often they squawk between the almost square thing, and the crank shaft.
Easy fix, he's got it mostly apart already.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message

The noise you heard was from terminal wear. Install a new assembly.
Forty years of service for a sprag clutch unit is really all you can
expect.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:15 pm, pc_whocares wrote:
The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

Although the edger is 40 years old, it has only had about ten or
twelve seasons of use.

I laughed when I put it back together.... it was only then I realized
it's a centrifugal design where the ball or balls near the top engage
due to gravity, then fly out when it starts to spin to disengage the
ratchet assembly. My grease kept them from engaging! Too funny!

It really looked good inside... sparkling, spanking assed clean. All
I found were some tiny dings on the "rewind ratchet" [find 70 in the
parts manual] (or, "sprag", if you will.)

I'll clean it up carefully, give it some graphite this time, and if it
is still burping, try a stone on the dings.

Thanks to all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 7:20 am, Joe wrote:
On Jul 8, 2:15 pm, pc_whocares wrote:

The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

The noise you heard was from terminal wear. Install a new assembly.
Forty years of service for a sprag clutch unit is really all you can
expect.

Joe

Joe, what do you mean by "terminal wear"?

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 10, 12:20*pm, pc_whocares wrote:
On Jul 9, 7:20 am, Joe wrote:

On Jul 8, 2:15 pm, pc_whocares wrote:

The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. *I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. *I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac

The noise you heard was from terminal wear. Install a new assembly.
Forty years of service for a sprag clutch unit is really all you can
expect.

Joe

Joe, what do you mean by "terminal wear"?

thanks

'Terminal', as in end of life. As it turned out, however, usage was
far less than normal and clean and lube revived the engine starter.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Joe" wrote in message

The noise you heard was from terminal wear. Install a new assembly.
Forty years of service for a sprag clutch unit is really all you can
expect.

Joe

??????? _almost_ _square_ _thing_ ??

Illucidate, 'sil vous plait!

mac

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf...100/MS0523.pdf

Right click on this, and download the manual. Open using Adobe Reader.

Scroll down to page 8. The almost square thing is inside small box 66, and
is part number 70. Hope that's some help.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe" wrote in message

The noise you heard was from terminal wear. Install a new assembly.
Forty years of service for a sprag clutch unit is really all you can
expect.

Joe

??????? _almost_ _square_ _thing_ ??

Illucidate, 'sil vous plait!

mac

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 10:20 am, pc_whocares wrote:
[...]

The problem was, simply, that the engine shaft required some light
touching up with steel wool and a subsequent application of a very
light Teflon grease (the ratchet appears to be aluminum and was
without corrosion.) Voila! Problem solved. The starter rope had
also broken off. While I had the rewind mechanism apart I noted rust
in some of the weaker areas of the outer cover so I sand blasted it,
gave it a sprayed prime coat followed by a couple of coats of red
spray paint. It's now good for another fifty years. That damn
starter rewind spring was sure difficult to get back into the cover,
but I managed it on the first try. My hands just aren't as strong as
they used to be, but if I did one of these every day I'd be crushing
bones when shaking hands.