Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default Craftsman Lathe Tailstock

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:24:33 GMT, woodslave
wrote:

Any place that supplies lathe accessories should have what you want
(that is, if I understand your question correctly)--it doesn't have to
be Sears, specifically. The old monotube lathes (I have one) used a #1
MT (Morse taper) for both head and tailstock fittings. General
woodworking suppliers will probably have them, and specialty
woodturning suppliers certainly will. Try the usual suspects.

Originally, lathes in general and Sears in particular used "dead"
centers in the tail stock (the center didn't turn--the wood bears
against it and spins and a lubricant such as beeswax is sometimes used
to mitigate burning). Most people (and newer lathes) use a "live"
center in the tail stock (the center itself sits in a bearing which is
mounted on the MT stub--the center spins with the wood). Thus, there
is a brisk business in tail stock live centers for older lathes.

I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.