Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Steel wire cut to length

RoyJ wrote:
I got a request for a couple thousand plant stakes this afternoon. They
need to be 5' long, fairly stiff but not very strong. Requester came in
with some .072 wire, not stiff enough, the .134 wire sample was over
kill. Something on the order of .109" to .125" would seem to be about
right. Galvanzied would be a plus, not required,

I don't want to deal with straightening a coil, don't want to sit and do
the cut off. Any thing come to mind where I could just buy it? I've
thought about trying to find a wire forming place, get it cut to length.
Fence place? Greenhouse supply? This would be 10,000' somewhere near 400
pounds so it would be a non trivial pile.

What kind of plant can be supported by a thin wire like that? The stakes
I use in the garden are 6' and made from 1/2" conduit with a plastic
coating. The other stakes are 2" wood.

--
Steve W.