Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs & Stratton Rewind Starter Service

Tip the engine on its side, so the rewind is on top. Pull the three bolts,
lift the spring assembly off.

Take the clutch asembly apart, and clean the end of the crank shaft, and
inside the almost square thing. Clean with solvent (gasoline, ronsonol,
etc.) and q-tips. Squirt some graphite or silicone into the almost square
sleeve, and slip it on the crank shaft.

Put the five balls in, spaced around. And then the washer that holds the
balls in place. Put the pullcord assembly back on, and then the three bolts.

Tip engine back up.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"pc_whocares" wrote in message
The starter on my horizontal shaft mid sixties mower has started to
chatter while the mower is running. I've seen that kind of business
on outboard engines when I was a kid.

I took the cover and rotating screen off, and five or so ball bearings
dropped out. I didn't look under a magnifying glass, but it basically
looked new, and w/o lubricant inside.

I'm guessing all it needs is some light, perhaps, lithium grease on
the balls to hold them in place whilst I reassemble it?

tanks

mac