Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
woodslave woodslave is offline

Default Craftsman Lathe Tailstock

I'm new to woodworking and particularly turning. I recently purchased
an old craftsman lathe with a good motor. It is missing the pointed piece
that actually holds the tail end of the wood on the tailstock. I have
checked the sears website and the part or parts that were originally used
for that have been discontinued. I was thinking about having one made at a
local machine shop. I think I need just a circular point welded to a nut
that threads onto the tailstock assembly. Is there a certain angle I
should use for the point? I'm thinking about 60 degrees would be OK.
Better yet is there somewhere else I can get this item or something else I
can use in place of it?

Thanks
woodslave