Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Quackenbush[_3_] Tom Quackenbush[_3_] is offline

Default Cutting oil v. thread cutting oil - difference?

"Robert Swinney wrote:

The heavy black sulfurized stuff is hightly recommended as a replacement for the oil lard oil used
in the past. I have never found a source for real lard oil so I have no basis for comparison. The
black stuff works pretty well on threading. Don't ask me if I think it is worth the mess.

snip

Thanks, Robert. When I was shopping, I vaguely remembered that
sulphur was good, but I didn't know why.

I sometimes have solid lard on hand. Ddo you know how that compares
with lard oil? I do know how to turn solid lard liquid. g

R,
Tom Q.