Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

If you use acetone ($12/gal locally) it'll be dry before your rag gets
3 feet from where it cleaned. The whole trailer shouldn't take more
than 15 minutes to wipe down, so your neighbors won't be chemically
abused for long.

Isn't acetone horribly toxic? My neighbor (he builds cars) suggested I
use lacquer thinner. Or do I have an unreasonable fear of the stuff?

Lacquer thinner is much more toxic than acetone. Lacquer thinner comes in
several varieties -- the "hottest" is vicious stuff. The mildest is not.

How solvents will work under the paint depends on the type of paint you're
using. I see kerosene has been recommended. With some paints, kerosene will
just about guarentee paint failure. With others, it makes no difference.

Commerical acetone is mostly recycled from high-volume industrial uses. It
often has non-volatile components in it, although in extremely small
amounts. There are some paints for which it really isn't the best cleaning
solvent. In general, though, it will work fine for prepaint cleaning with
most paints you're likely to use.

--
Ed Huntress