Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 01:22:20 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm,
(Edward A. Falk) quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:35:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Grant
Erwin quickly quoth:

Edward A. Falk wrote:

That looks like my working plan now. My problem is the prep work;
I don't really have a place or the time to go and wipe down every
foot of angle with an acetone-soaked rag. I guess I'll call the
powdercoating guy back and ask what he'd charge to just prep the
steel and give it back to me.

Don't have a place to wipe down a welded trailer?!? What's wrong with
the place the trailer is sitting right now, Ed?

It's a relatively crowded residential neighborhood. However, I've
talked to the neighbor who'll most likely be affected, and he's ok
with it.

That's good.

If you use acetone ($12/gal locally) it'll be dry before your rag gets
3 feet from where it cleaned. The whole trailer shouldn't take more
than 15 minutes to wipe down, so your neighbors won't be chemically
abused for long.

VIRTUE...is its own punishment