Mike G

Default Planers versus jointers

What ever you say bubba. We'll ignore the fact that the PSI pushing down on
the stock as it feeds through a planer is concentrated on the very small
contact area of the feed rollers as well as the fact that if it ain't flat
going through the planer it ain't going to be flat as it comes out. We'll
also pass on the fact that proper feeding of stock through a jointer
specifically precludes pushing down with any great force on the stock. It's
neither desirable nor necessary.

We'll also pretend that the comment " Oh yes, and one face does not have to
be absolutely flat to feed the planer. It just has to sit flat.." actually
makes some kind of sense and that there will be an efficient and accurate
way to get a true edge with such a board.

Where do these people come from???????????

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"George" wrote in message
How long will this urban legend be around?

C'mon over and I'll buy you a case of your favorite if you can smash the

cup
out of a piece of rough 4/4 maple. Then I'll show you how you really

have
to flaunt good sense to do it to 3/4 pine.

BTW, I doubt any lunchbox planer out there can apply more pressure on a
board than a 210 lb human bearing down with pushblocks at the jointer.

Oh yes, and one face does not have to be absolutely flat to feed the

planer.
It just has to sit flat.

"Mike G" wrote in message
Absolutely necessary. A flat face to work from.

Joint (make flat and straight) one face (reference face) so you have
something to true (reference) the remaining three sides to. Not to be

done
on a planer because the feed rollers will push out any warp and it will
reappear as the stock exits the planer. For the same reason use very

little
down force when jointing.