Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:35:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Grant
Erwin quickly quoth:

Edward A. Falk wrote:

That looks like my working plan now. My problem is the prep work;
I don't really have a place or the time to go and wipe down every
foot of angle with an acetone-soaked rag. I guess I'll call the
powdercoating guy back and ask what he'd charge to just prep the
steel and give it back to me.

Don't have a place to wipe down a welded trailer?!? What's wrong with
the place the trailer is sitting right now, Ed?

What's the matter with your steel? Does it have oil on it? Is it just a little
bit of normal rust/scale? You don't have to kill yourself .. it would be really
easy to clean the stock before you weld everything up, then just blow it off
and paint it.

You are seriously pole-vaulting over mouse turds!

I disagree. Steel is usually covered in combinations of oil, rust,
scale, and crud. It needs to be wirebrushed and cleaned well before
any paint or primer goes on. But even a hand-held wire brush will do
the trick, and a garage (with -no- pilot lights), driveway, or gravel
lot is good enough for the wipedown.

VIRTUE...is its own punishment