Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Edward A. Falk Edward A. Falk is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

In article 1Brck.177$0V1.45@trndny01,
Grant Erwin wrote:

What's the matter with your steel? Does it have oil on it? Is it just a little
bit of normal rust/scale? You don't have to kill yourself .. it would be really
easy to clean the stock before you weld everything up, then just blow it off
and paint it.

A little bit of oil on it, a little bit of surface rust, and a lot of
soot, so that my hands are black every time I handle it. I'm sure if
I painted over the soot, the paint would not stick to the steel.

I don't really have a place to work on it other than my driveway.
A rag soaked in kerosine would probably deal with the oil. If I also
cleaned off the soot, I'd have a pile of kerosene-soaked rags five feet
high and a lot of ****ed-off neighbors. I don't think kerosene would
deal with the rust at all. Maybe I'm wrong?

My biggest problem is that I just don't have a place where I can work
with volatile chemicals.

You are seriously pole-vaulting over mouse turds!

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/