Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Slightly OT. Heat and a Bench Light ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Jim Adney wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 01:23:49 +0100 "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Separate from this is heat conduction thru the base of the bulb. If
the bulb is shorter and hotter, then it will likely conduct more heat
into the socket. Halogen sockets are generally ceramic or some rather
special high temp plastic in order to deal with this, so putting a
halogen bulb in a standard socket will always result in a destroyed
socket.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

I'd not appreciated that added effect with Ro80 "Apollo lander" shape
bulbs.
The filament is perhaps twice the distance from the socket as the same
wattage but globular lamp. As well as reflecting forwards most of the
rearward-going heat and light.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

The R80 sounds the way to go from all angles. I'll pick one up next time I'm
in B&Q

Arfa