Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Edward A. Falk Edward A. Falk is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

In article ,
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Ed,
First, the material at the weld points have to be very clean before welding.
That's a given, but no, that is not what I said. A trailer is an assembly
made of multiple components. Finish the construction, fit all the
components, make sure everything works, then dissassemble and bring to the
powder coater for powder coating. Upon completion, do the final assembly.
This may sound like more work and expense, but it isn't.
Steve

OK, by "assemble", you mean just test-fit the parts, drill all the
holes, etc., correct? Then bring the individual pieces to be prepped
and painted, then bring them back home and weld them up, correct?

I did the test assembly in my back yard this afternoon, and it's all
piled into my car to be taken to the powder coater first thing
tommorrow.

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/