Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default Slightly OT. Heat and a Bench Light ...

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Baron wrote:
I've seen electric heaters repaired with those plastic choc-blocks
put
in them. I once had an old lady ask me to look at one. She said it
smells funny and there is something dripping out of the back. The
plastic surround had almost compleatly gone and the connections were
hanging in mid air. I had a go at the guy who repaired it and was
un-politely told to sod off........ Sadley there weren't the
consumer protections in those days !

There's no difference from a choc block than any other screw connector
- like those found in sockets, etc. Make a poor connection or use an
incorrectly rated one and it *will* give trouble.

I couldn't agree more !

However I was referring to the fact that some Id10T had replaced the
original ceramic terminal block with a plastic one ! The fact that the
plastic over the course of a couple of weeks had just melted away with
the heat, rather than just a bad joint. Its likely that the original
had one or more seized or broken grub screws, leading to its
replacement.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.