Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Slightly OT. Heat and a Bench Light ...

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:08:27 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Potential fire hazard, or am
I just being paranoid ? Does this need bringing to someone's attention ?

You might have a point, however I find it odd that you're using a 75
or 100 watt incandescent bulb in a desk lamp. I have a few here and
they all specify 60 watts maximum. I guess that applies only to the
old large bulbs.

This is probably what's happening:
http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/page1.php?QNum=1042
Yeah, looks about right.

Wanna disclose the maker and model number of the hot bulb?

http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/incandescent_light_bulbs.html
Candle flame = 1700 C
Match = 2000 C peak
100 watt bulb = 2500 C

Are a few degrees C going to make much of a difference? I don't have
the proper IR thermometer necessary to measure such high temperatures.
See if you can beg or borrow an optical pyrometer used in a steel mill
or foundry, you can measure the temperatures. Forget about using
thermocouples as they don't cover the temperature range:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple

Meanwhile, use an IR optical thermometer to measure the temperature of
the lamp shade, to see if it's ready to ignite. Compare the old and
new bulbs. A few measurements will tell you if you're in danger of
burning the house down. Judging from the description of how a Halogen
bulb works, I suspect you have a justifiable concern.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D