Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe tooling, pictures "before" and "after"

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 13:38:42 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

As we are on the subject: Do you use the sand-paper flap discs in your angle
grinder? I meant those where the sand-paper is kind of layered around the
periphery of the disc and you do not need a plastic backing pad. I tried one
and found that the point of contact with the work piece is quite different
from that of a ordinary disk with backing pad. Did not suit my purposes. Why
are they thought better than the others? None of the shop staff gave me a
definite answer.

I do. While they are not worth a **** for cutting off **** from the
side, they run cool, last a very long time and are quite efficent.

Yes..the "aiming point" is different than a fiber wheel, but its
something you get used to.

I keep a 4.5" with a fiber wheel for grinding off big chunks of metal,
and 2 with a medium and course flap wheel for normal work, and a 4th
with one of Toms marvelous knotted wire cup brushes, all under the
welding table and ready to hand.

I find the cup brush and the flap wheels get the most use.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.