Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Lathe tooling, pictures "before" and "after"

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Standard angle grinder speeds would likely wreck a scotchbrite pad
just from spinning it. Given any pressure, they'd melt. At slower
speeds, though, they work great, especially with mineral spirits or
WD-40. I keep boxes of 3-M 7447/7448 for use on metal and wood.

Took me a while to work out what ROS is. Now I understand. I probably cannot
use mine for that as it is a little square DeWalt which clips in
quarter-sheets. I use it a lot to finish my work.
I wonder why they do not make rotary brushes with phosphor-bronze bristles
for the angle grinders instead of just steel. One could be so much bolder
removing stuff.
I am also pretty sure I saw a "Scotchbrite-like" pad for an angle grinder. I
did not pay much attention, must go back and investigate. It was either
House of Tools or Lordco.
As we are on the subject: Do you use the sand-paper flap discs in your angle
grinder? I meant those where the sand-paper is kind of layered around the
periphery of the disc and you do not need a plastic backing pad. I tried one
and found that the point of contact with the work piece is quite different
from that of a ordinary disk with backing pad. Did not suit my purposes. Why
are they thought better than the others? None of the shop staff gave me a
definite answer.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC