Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Grease or oil?

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
Some of the threads here got me thinking: What, in general, is a proper
application for lubricating oil and when should one use grease?

I spent a fair bit on the web and am no wiser. Strong opinions abound,
facts are difficult to come by. The nearest I got is: "If it is like a
pin in a hole use oil, if the surfaces are sliding use grease". I thought
lubrication is by definition for surfaces that slide in one fashion or
another, so grease should be used for all?

Then there is the question of temperature range, molybdenum or not, etc.
etc.

Furthermore, as far as I can tell the same game that manufacturers and
retailers play with other chemicals (e.g. degreasers) is played with
greases. Call it automotive grease you pay X, call it a "mil-spec gun
grease" you pay 10X. And so on.

Any views here?

--
Michael Koblic,