edfan

Default power tools -- price vs quality?

Don't buy all that. Firm up the motivation first. Invest in a course
at the nearest place that teaches any sort of woodworking. Having
nifty tools doesn't mean you will like woodworking. (I've saved money
buying barely used high ticket tools from people who wanted to make a
cradle for their first baby and didn't have another spare MINUTE after
that and now the kid's in school and needs braces so they're selling.)

The first thing to think about isn't, "What great project can I make
with a room full of high priced tools?" A better first question might
be, "How do I save myself from exposure to cancerous effluent and keep
all my fingers and other body parts, such as eyes -- while I'm
spending money making a book case?"

Review WHY you have generated the list. Look at underlying restraints.
A dust collector isn't as necessary if you use HAND TOOLS, which have
produced most of the items which attract people to woodworking.
Consider doing it that way - hand tools first. Start small. Do a few
tiny, simple projects and buy only the tools needed to complete them.
It might turn out that you like one or two aspects of woodworking but
not the stuff that requires the rest of the workshop.

Many MANY professional woodworkers in the Middle East and Mexico make
houses filled with beautiful furniture using a tool set they can fit
into a couple of lunch buckets. Bring them a magazine and they can
duplicate any furniture in it using only that handful of old tools.
Don't assume the people you read about in magazines needed all that
power equipment to do the job.

If the drive to buy buy buy big motorworks is too strong, get Festool.
Then if you do NOT like woodworking as a hobby, you'll get most of the
money back selling used. (That's one major reason for buying big brand
names, IMHO. If you need to sell, you lose less money.) While you're
finding out if this is for you, you are nearly dustfree and also
QUIET, so you've done little damage to yourself even if the "trial
period" is several years long. If it turns out you love woodworking,
you've started with an extremely fine set of tools that you won't
outgrow. IMHO, that's the low risk/high value strategy.

By the way, have you budgeted for the "accessories" you'll need?
Buying the TOOLS is a start. What about clamps? Finishing supplies?
Plans and wood? Storage for all of it during construction? Lighting in
the shop (are you going to quit your day job to work on the hobby)?
Cold weather and rains might be here in a few months, can you heat the
space? Keep it dry? Does it need new flooring, roofing or insulation
to hold those tools and works in progress safely and conveniently?

Noise, safety, performance, vision, lungs, financial prudence -- these
are not trivial but they are not tools either, yet consideration of
these issues should inform your tool choices.

Don't start with the tool list, IMHO. Look for a USER GROUP and
mentoring. Easiest way to find that nearby is to take a class. Sure
can't hurt, right?

"BobAtVandy" wrote in message . ..
I'm a potential newbie woodworker, trying to ascertain the likely cost of
getting into this. I'm persuaded by all the advice on this newgroup that
it's worth springing for a good table saw first and foremost. But I don't
have a sense of when it's worthwhile paying more for better (brand?) for
other types of equipment. I check the catalogs and, as you all know, there
is a considerable spread in price for a given type of equipment. Obviously,
I want to be able to get good results so I don't become frustrated and
disillusioned with the hobby. On the other hand, I really want to minimize
the expense. I'm probably most likely to be doing cabinets, bookshelves,
desks, furniture types of things.

So, any advice on the following equipment would be appreciated. (Apologies
if some of my comments seem naive, but don't hesitate to correct me.)

DRILL PRESS -- It seems to me that as long as the 'table' can be set square
(or at a set angle), and locked tight, anything else is a matter of
convenience. So, I'm thinking like a 8" 5-speed Harbor Freight (Central
Machinery) or Grizzly for $70-$80. Are there any compelling/quality issues
that should require me to spend more? If so, what?

BELT SANDER -- Same rationale. I would think there isn't a lot of reason
not to get an inexpensive unit. E.g., a combo 6" disc/36" belt for about
$60 from Harbor Freight. Same question: Are there any compelling/quality
issues that should require me to spend more? If so, what?

JOINTER -- 6" with a square fence that locks well. Popular Woodworking
gave the Grizzly model 1182HW ($305) an Editors Choice award. Yet this is
pretty much low-end of the price range (except for benchtop models). Is
there any reason to pay for more than this?

ROUTER -- I don't understand the ins and outs of routers, but I gather it's
worth buying a better unit, though I couldn't tell you why. What are the
minimum capabilities I should look for? What brands are adequate for my
purpose and what likely price range?

PLANER -- (sometime down the road perhaps) It seems like the wisdom is
to buy something that produces smooth results with blades that aren't too
hard to change. Probably a 12" portable model. Price range perhaps $300
for a decent one. Sound right?

DUST COLLECTION -- a very early investment. I've done quite a bit of
reading on this so I think I understand the cost/quality issues.

Many thanks.