Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:54:53 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) I suggest black full gloss enamel. Gloss
prevents rust
much better than semigloss, as the latter has tiny crevices in it - that's
how it looks less glossy. Where it's thinner, can be tiny holes that are
where rust starts. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have no objection to gloss enamel, except: because it's shiny, it shows
irregularities in the surface more. If you are a really good welder, this
may not matter. But, for example, you have to grind some welds and not
others, the difference will be emphasized. The way a semigloss finish is
built into the paint is by the proportion of solid pigment. When the paint
dries, the liquid part shrinks. If it shrinks enough to expose the tips of
the pigment particles, there will be less gloss. This is not tiny crevices,
but tiny bumps. There may be tiny pinholes in a coat of paint. When you
apply multiple coats, you reduce the chance that a pinhole will go all the
way from the surface to the metal. A coat of primer is probably going to
have some pinholes, which are practically certain to be covered by the
finish coat. The finish coat culd also have some pinholes, but there is
very little chance that a pinhole in one coat will line up with a pinhole in
the other coat.

Leo, it's a freakin' utility trailer, not a $45,000 classic car paint
job, fer chrissake. You don't want to hide the true nature of the
vehicle, do you?

Sheesh, and I thought _I_ was anal at times...

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine