Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

(Edward A. Falk) wrote:

Can anybody give me advice or talk about their experiences working
with angle iron? The metal I'm using if filthy, coating my hands
black if I handle it too much. Is that coating some sort of
protective material or is the metal just dirty? What's the best way
to remove it? I'm guessing that a pressure washer isn't such a good
idea .

I make stuff at work out of hot rolled with that nice black coating of slag. I wipe with
a clean rag with alky on it and wire brush the welds. The painter shoots the shade of
blue we use for most parts (truck pulleys) and it looks fine.

For your trailer, I'd wire brush welds, clean the oils off with some sort of solvent,
brush paint with a rustoleum primer and overcoat with color. It isn't a car. Brush
painting is fine and all most all of your paint will end up on your trailer.

I am not a fan of powder coat. You can do a crapy job with it.

Wes