Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 20:29:21 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor qualm,
(Edward A. Falk) quickly quoth:

In article ,
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Ed,
Save yourself the grief and get it powdercoated. The process will involve
sandblasting to grade 00 and powder coating. If you consider the cost of the
solvents, the rags, the paper towels, the electricity and you forget your
labor, the cost is still less for powder. Look for commercial powder coaters
in the yellow pages. Bring the trailer to them in pieces and assemble after
the process. It is better faster and cheaper.
Steve

Awesome; I hadn't thought of painting it before welding. I assume I
have to grind the paint off the spots where I'll weld, and then add
touch-up paint after welding, correct?

I'm sure he meant to just -prep- before welding. Welding near a
powdercoated finish will melt it off.

I just called a local powercoat shop and for a (SWAG) 5x8' trailer
with 3' tongue, they get $400-425. That includes sandblasting,
racking, powdercoating, and baking. That's not too bad, but OUCH, it
seems cheaper to _buy_ a trailer than to spend the money on parts,
welding time and supplies, and powdercoating.

Call a few sandblasting shops around your area. Maybe it's cheaper to
have them clean it and you prime and spray it yourself.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine