Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Prepping and painting angle iron

Ed,
First, the material at the weld points have to be very clean before welding.
That's a given, but no, that is not what I said. A trailer is an assembly
made of multiple components. Finish the construction, fit all the
components, make sure everything works, then dissassemble and bring to the
powder coater for powder coating. Upon completion, do the final assembly.
This may sound like more work and expense, but it isn't.
Steve

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Lusardi wrote:
Ed,
Save yourself the grief and get it powdercoated. The process will involve
sandblasting to grade 00 and powder coating. If you consider the cost of
the
solvents, the rags, the paper towels, the electricity and you forget your
labor, the cost is still less for powder. Look for commercial powder
coaters
in the yellow pages. Bring the trailer to them in pieces and assemble
after
the process. It is better faster and cheaper.
Steve

Awesome; I hadn't thought of painting it before welding. I assume I
have to grind the paint off the spots where I'll weld, and then add
touch-up paint after welding, correct?

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/