Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nicksanspam@ece.villanova.edu is offline

Default Heat pump in basement?

dpb wrote:
wrote:
dpb wrote:
wrote:
I live in the upper Hudson River Valley(Albany, NY). The temperature
in the winter hovers around 25 degrees for about 2 months. My full
basement stays around 55 degrees. I know that it is considered very
impractical to install it outside. What are the pros and cons of
installing an air source heat pump in the basement?

Good idea, esp if it's damp. If it isn't, you might use a soaker hose and
a solenoid valve and humidistat to keep the basement air 50% RH while you
put a window AC through a stairwell wall, with the warm side in the living
space. The main mechanism for upward heatflow in soil is evaporation from
lower soil layers and vapor movement through voids and condensation above.

Far too small a volume--you'd heat or cool the basement faster than the
rest of the house...

That's irrelevant, since the heat would come from the ground.

In that environment, your best bet is ground source of one kind or
another. They're great--had one (Water Furnace brand, one of the best).

That also sounds good, with a large cheap swimming pool in the basement with
a thick layer of ice on top and a little fresh water flow as needed. The
Climatemaster 27 is a nice $5K 3-ton water source heat pump with a COP of 5.

It simply can not work...

Balderdash :-)

Nick