Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Lathe tooling, pictures "before" and "after"

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:34:09 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

CorrosionX is probably great on tooling which will get greasy/oily in
use. I use Johnson's Paste Wax on my arn tools and it lasts well
without any oily residue. Buff it on with 0000 steel wool, let dry
10-15 minutes, and buff off. After about 5 years, those of my
handplanes which were unused are starting to show some signs of light
surface rusting again, so it's time again. Twice a decade ain't bad. I
like it because it's a thin coating which doesn't rub off and affect
wood finishes.

I know many of the metal sculptors use Johnson's Paste Wax. For some reason
it is not available in Canada. I made my own wax through combining beeswax,
linseed oil and a bit of Varsol. Some of the same people swear by it but I
cannot say how good it actually is in the long run. Also, I made it a bit
hard for smooth application - need to use the hot air gun to melt it to
start. Does anyone have experience with other kinds of wax? Lee Valley sells
a few but they are mainly woodwork oriented.

beeswax/linseed oil/spirits is an old natural furniture finish, too.

Many people (particularly bikers for some reason) swear by Boeshield T-9. It
is not cheap and I have no personal experience with it. Again, Lee Valley
carry it so in my book it is a kind of recommendation.

Lots of the guys on the Wreck used to praise Boeshield for their cast
arn machine surfaces.

In my recent effort I used one of those nylon rotating brushes to get rid of
surface rust - of course it was nothing as critical as a lathe chuck. Any
views on those things BTW?

I've always used an old toothbrush (I bend the ends so they don't look
like something I'd ever again put into my mouth) or nylon brush for
removing wax from the car/truck and from waxed metal tools. I never
got fancy and electrified the process, though.

Oh, wait, were you referring to the ScotchBrite buffing pads? They're
great for derusting minor surface rust. I use them with WD-40 then
wipe all that crud off. I can stick those directly to the velcro hooks
on the bottom of my ROS, but usually just do it by hand. Nitrile
gloves hold up best for that.

--
Such is the irresistible nature of truth that all it asks, and all it wants,
is the liberty of appearing. -- Thomas Paine