Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Source for 5C handwheel collet closer drawtube assembly

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:43:06 -0700 (PDT), woodworker88
wrote:

I just bought a ~1918 Wade 8A precision toolmakers lathe, and it uses
a Wade #8 collet, which is identical to a 5C collet except for a
slightly longer length and a different (stronger) buttress thread.
They are quite similar, but the Wade collets sell for 50+ dollars
each, whereas good 5C collets can be had for just a few dollars a
collet in complete sets. All I need is a new drawtube and handwheel
assembly, since the lathe already has a spindle nose with the
appropriate taper. Does anybody know a source for premade 5C
drawtubes that can be cut down to size and fitted with a handwheel?

Check with your local used machine tool dealers, they often have
broken collet closers and bits and pieces.