Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus14593 Ignoramus14593 is offline

Default Lathe tooling, pictures "before" and "after"

On 2008-07-02, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 01:34:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus4323 quickly quoth:

On 2008-07-02, Michael Koblic wrote:
Nice work!

I take it "Gain" is some sort of industrial degreaser? And "CorrosionX" is
phosphoric acid in some form? Did you use the Scotchbrite pad in an angle
grinder to finish or something more vicious?

I am not sure what Gain is, but I did not use it. Might have gotten
into a picture accidentally. CorrosionX is a rust preventative lubricant
that maintains a non-drying oily film. Very nice.

Gain is a laundry detergent, like Tide.

CorrosionX is probably great on tooling which will get greasy/oily in
use.

Also on tools that are handled a lot. CorrosionX is very good at
staying where it was applied despite handling. It is a little more
time consuming, as it does not spray well, so it needs to be wiped on.
It has a better "hanging on ability" than LPS-2. And it does not
interfere with tool use, like LPS-3.

As of now, I use LPS-2 on stuff like taps, drills or anything that I
keep for a few months for ebay and do not want to start rusting; and
CorrosionX HD on tools that I actually use. LPS-2 forms a clear coat
and is easy to remove.

I use Johnson's Paste Wax on my arn tools and it lasts well
without any oily residue. Buff it on with 0000 steel wool, let dry
10-15 minutes, and buff off. After about 5 years, those of my
handplanes which were unused are starting to show some signs of light
surface rusting again, so it's time again. Twice a decade ain't bad. I
like it because it's a thin coating which doesn't rub off and affect
wood finishes.

Twice a decade is not bad at all.

I used a wirebrush, but did not use it near the screws of the 4 jaw
chuck. Only on outside surfaces that do not slide against each other.

Smart man. I've seen hacks "clean up" threaded parts with a buffer and
remove half the threading. The tooling went from rusted to ruined in
five minutes. Maroons.

Or spray lathe beds with spray paint "looks like new".

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/