Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Johnson[_2_] Douglas Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default Celebrate Our Freedoms

"HeyBub" wrote:

If you're thinking of Dan Rostenkowski, 36 years in Congress, Chairman of
the Ways and Means Committee, you're right. 'Course he went to prison.

He's not the guy. Danny did pretty well for himself, at least 'til he got
caught. But 36 years is a little more experience than Obama.

If you're thinking of that tall, lanky fellow

That's the guy. Beard, suffered from depression. Got shot.

who lead one side in the
Second War of Independence (or, as we Southerners sometimes call it "The
Recent Unpleasantness"),

Or the ever-popular "War of Northern Aggression".

he was solely responsible for the deaths of more
Americans than in all the other wars we've ever fought. I'd say his tenure
was "mixed."

660,000 fine young men. Based on relative populations, well over 6,000,000
today. Gawd! Can you imagine that? All wars are nasty. Civil wars are the
nastiest.

But it's hard to call him "solely responsible". At least one other person could
have ended it -- that Jefferson fellow from Mississippi. There was a large cast
of characters with secondary responsibility from Lieutenant Henry S. Farley, who
opened fire on Fort Sumter, to Lee, Grant, Jackson, and Sherman.

-- Doug