Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default What is wrong here ?

"Spehro Pefhany"
"Phil Allison"

** See pics of AC supply adaptor:

Something here is not kosher.

Aside from my other comments .....

I'd like to see the clearance / creepage distances for that switch. Can
they seriously meet Class II ?

** Not an issue, as input and output circuits are both at mains voltages.

There is a serious safety issue with this device.

Only one issue?

Flammable plastic?

Non-FRP plastic melted through leaving a gaping hole and exposing
mains potential?

LED at mains potential without adequate insulation/creepage?

** I was not able to open the unit as it belonged to a customer.

What is wrong is that it is * NOT * a safety isolation transformer.

It IS an AUTO-TRANSFORMER - falsely marked !!!!

The big clue is the power maker's rating of 70 watts - suspiciously high
for a unit so small.

The other clue is that a "safety isolation transformer " must not exceed 50
volts on the output side.

Similar size units which ARE mains isolation types have ratings of only 25
to 30 VA.

The 240 volt input measures 140 ohms ( room temp) and the output side 70
ohms and the neutral terminals are common.
So - at the rated 70 watt (should be VA ) load it will get very hot (
dissipation about 18 watts) and likely send the 105C thermal fuse open.

Wot a dangerous, horrible POS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

But easy to find on-line or eBay - I bet.

This the shonky maker's site:

http://www.goldenedge.com.hk/

...... Phil