Richards

Default power tools -- price vs quality?

BobAtVandy wrote:

JOINTER -- 6" with a square fence that locks well. Popular Woodworking
gave the Grizzly model 1182HW ($305) an Editors Choice award. Yet this is
pretty much low-end of the price range (except for benchtop models). Is
there any reason to pay for more than this?

Think about an 8" model, rather than a 6". I bought my 6" jet to edge
joint the lumber, not realizing that I needed to surface-plane the face
of the lumber before running it through the planner - big mistake.