Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default What is wrong here ?

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:29:02 +1000, the renowned "Phil Allison"
wrote:

** See pics of AC supply adaptor:

Something here is not kosher.

..... Phil

An electronic travel adapter. Offhand I don't see anything wrong with
it. What's that "House" symbol mean?

It doesn't carry any agency certification marks, but that's typical
for this class of product, which lives in kind of a legal grey zone.
Typically they are sold in country "A" with a warning that they are
not to be used in country "A". They are then temporarily imported into
country "B" by a tourist (skirting any laws which may prohibit import
of unapproved devices) and plugged in (skirting laws which may
prohibit attaching unapproved devices to the mains). And if it kills
someone it will be in country "B", not the country of sale.

Anyway, I'd guess it to be a "modifed sine wave" inverter with a
switchable voltage doubler front end, sort of like a combination of
automotive inverter with a PC power supply front end. Looks about the
right size for 60W.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany