Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default get rid of Windows nags

On 2008-06-29, Karl Townsend wrote:

and, after you do that, make sure the machine has no connection to the
internet and you will be safe

This is my follow up question. I pulled the three CNC machines off my LAN
for now. Is there some way to connect my CNC machines to the office computer
so i can download Gcode and backup machine setup but do nothing else and let
nothing from the outside in? Note: The office computer is internet
connected.

Do you have an empty slot in the office machine? Install an
extra ethernet card, and direct connect it to the CNC machines through a
stand-alone hub. Make sure you resist any attempts of the office
machine to get you to allow it to route between networks, which would
defeat what you want to do.

Today, I have a DSL modem, then router, then a peer to peer LAN through out
the place.

Break the lan with the extra ethernet card in the office
machine, and allow connections to the CNC machines only through that
ethernet port. I could tell you how to set it up on unix boxen, you'll
have to get it from someone else for Windows -- especially how to keep
it from routing between the two nets. I'll bet that Windows will want
to do the routing by default, and you'll have to fight it to keep it
from doing that.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564