Posted to rec.woodworking
Denis M Denis M is offline

Default Finish for Cedar

"Mike in Arkansas" wrote in message
I may be wrong about this but I believe I have read that the best way
to prevent outdoor items from weathering is to paint it with regular
paint with no tinting. Just the un-tinted "base". It has all the UV
protection already in it and dries clear. Don't recall whether latex
or oil base is best but you can probably find out using google.

In my case I have tried every things, the best thing is no coating at all.
I let the cedar as it is. Every year I wash it with Muphy's soap (or it
equilvatent) and light sprayed water.
So far after 15 years the cedar is looking fine and in good condition.