Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Metal brake question

On Jun 29, 11:55*am, GeneT wrote:
On Jun 29, 5:51 am, GeneT wrote:

Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square
piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides * bent 90 degrees,
so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides, *I'd
like to use a brake to do this and I can see being able to bend the
first two opposite sides, but how would I bend the adjacent sides?
Thanks in advance for your input,
Gene

OOOOPS, I meant 1/2 inch high sides.....

You might be able to raise the clamping leaf enough to put a 12" piece
of bar or key stock under it at the bend line. I built a brake this
month with the clamp easily removeable so I can use scrap steel blocks
and deep-throat welding clamps to fold up special boxes.

Crease the two difficult edges to start a sharp corner, bend the other
two completely, finish by clamping the box between blocks and bending
with a rubber hammer. I've been bending the sill corners of aluminum
window trim this way using cheap 1-2-3 blocks.

The 3-in-1 combo sheet metal machines allow you to move the fingers
around to bend a box. A real finger brake is wonderful if you can find
an affordable one and have the room.

Jim Wilkins