Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal brake question

Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square
piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides bent 90 degrees,
so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides, I'd
like to use a brake to do this and I can see being able to bend the
first two opposite sides, but how would I bend the adjacent sides?
Thanks in advance for your input,
Gene
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 5:51 am, GeneT wrote:
Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square
piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides bent 90 degrees,
so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides, I'd
like to use a brake to do this and I can see being able to bend the
first two opposite sides, but how would I bend the adjacent sides?
Thanks in advance for your input,
Gene

OOOOPS, I meant 1/2 inch high sides.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 08:51:42 -0700 (PDT), GeneT
wrote:

Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square
piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides bent 90 degrees,
so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides, I'd
like to use a brake to do this and I can see being able to bend the
first two opposite sides, but how would I bend the adjacent sides?
Thanks in advance for your input,
Gene

Box and pan brake...
http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation.../14018_536.htm

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 11:55*am, GeneT wrote:
On Jun 29, 5:51 am, GeneT wrote:

Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square
piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides * bent 90 degrees,
so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides, *I'd
like to use a brake to do this and I can see being able to bend the
first two opposite sides, but how would I bend the adjacent sides?
Thanks in advance for your input,
Gene

OOOOPS, I meant 1/2 inch high sides.....

You might be able to raise the clamping leaf enough to put a 12" piece
of bar or key stock under it at the bend line. I built a brake this
month with the clamp easily removeable so I can use scrap steel blocks
and deep-throat welding clamps to fold up special boxes.

Crease the two difficult edges to start a sharp corner, bend the other
two completely, finish by clamping the box between blocks and bending
with a rubber hammer. I've been bending the sill corners of aluminum
window trim this way using cheap 1-2-3 blocks.

The 3-in-1 combo sheet metal machines allow you to move the fingers
around to bend a box. A real finger brake is wonderful if you can find
an affordable one and have the room.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeneT wrote:
Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square
piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides bent 90 degrees,
so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides, I'd
like to use a brake to do this and I can see being able to bend the
first two opposite sides, but how would I bend the adjacent sides?
Thanks in advance for your input,
Gene

How many would you need? The multi use machines have removable fingers
for this. Or a vice and a couple pieces of angle and a rawhide mallet
would work as well.

If your using thin sheet you could also make a simple brake by cutting
two slots for the edge bends in the bending die on a small brake.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You didn't say how thick the metal is, what metal it is our how accurate
the bends need to be. If you don't need a lot of accuracy, you can bend
the other two sides by just clamping the unbent 3rd or 4th edge in a
vise and bending it over with a hammer.
If you haven't bought the material yet, buy it from a fab shop and
have them make the bends for you.

Pete Stanaitis
-----------------------

GeneT wrote:
Hello all, I am planning a project that requires a 13 inch square
piece of sheetmetal to have one inch on all 4 sides bent 90 degrees,
so that it forms a 12 inch square pan with 4 one inch high sides, I'd
like to use a brake to do this and I can see being able to bend the
first two opposite sides, but how would I bend the adjacent sides?
Thanks in advance for your input,
Gene

Sheet metal brake help. Mike Metalworking 1 May 18th 06 10:59 PM
Small sheet metal brake? T i m UK diy 13 May 3rd 06 01:12 AM
Broke my Metal Brake :0 James Lerch Metalworking 8 January 1st 05 06:48 PM
Sheet metal brake plans? Terrence McCann Metalworking 1 October 5th 03 06:15 PM
DIY Sheet metal brake. (how to make one) William G Darby Metalworking 11 August 6th 03 10:01 AM