Dan

Default Enlarging an existing door knob hole...HELP!

Hi Anthony,

Professional results require professional tools. Check out your local
rental places and try to locate a jig for drilling holes for lockset
hardware. I have a jig made by Kwikset that I used when installing doors and
hardware many years ago. I bought a new door for a customer by using the
hole saw method and decided right then and there that the jig was not all
that expensive after all was said and done.

The jig adjusts for different thickness of doors and has an adjustment to
keep the jaws parallel as well. The bolt hole guide automatically centers
when changing thickness of doors. A kit will have a forstner bit for the
large hole and an auger bit for the bolt hole and require a 1/2 inch drill.
Once set, you can do a door in under 10 minutes and can save you lots of
time and endless amounts of frustration if you are doing a retrofit on the
whole house.

Just one professional opinion. You might want to get another on the
possible "antique" value of your old hardware. Some old hardware is almost
worth its weight in gold to those who do high end restoration work! Good
luck with your project.

Dan
"Eccentric by nature"

"anthony" wrote in message
Guys, help me out on this....

I have an older home where all the door knobs are tarnished badly. So,

I've
decided to replace them with new ones. The problem is the old holes on

the
doors are too small to accept the new knob fixtures. Any suggestions to
achieve a professional result?

thanks,
Anthony