Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ms ms is offline

Default Cleaning a movie dvd

Allodoxaphobia wrote in
:

On 28 Jun 2008 19:24:03 GMT, ms wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the small TV monitor, or the connections
as it plays other movie dvd's fine. As in my OP, I was playing a dvd,
not using a VCR tape recorded copy or anything else.

After washing, the movie looks the same, from the opening credits
screen. the movie is alternately light and darker. The initial 20th
Cen. Fox video and no copy screens are perfectly stable, only every
movie screen is a problem.

This is the usual commercial dvd, "20th Cent Studio Classics, etc. ".

But the film quality sure looks just as you described.

A comment on above?

Sure. It's a pirated movie. The "initial 20th Cen. Fox video and no
copy screens are perfectly stable" because _that_ section of video can
be copied from _any_ valid DVD (ergo: Good quality) -- then the
pirated contents are spliced on past that (ispso facto: Crappy
quality.)

IIRC, way back in your OP you memtioned you bought it at either a yard
sale or flea market -- the favored outlet for pirated material in
countries where pirated and counterfeit items are more at risk in
store front slaes.

I live in Oregon, a quiet sales location, not Hong Kong.
The package had several Fox sales brochures included, so I think it is
original. Very likely the garage sale seller bought it new at a local dept
store, etc. I know there are sales where thousands of copies are sold- that
wasn't this case, I usually see just 5-10 dvd's they are done watching.
So it is seems unlikely IMO this dvd is pirated. Just defective as PeterD
indicated. Still a first in my experience that they make a commercial dvd
this way.

ms