Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Compressor drain

I put an HF drain unit on my Quincy Compressor last week. It only
seems to work on intial startup, and not on shutdown when the system
reaches full pressure and the unloader opens. This compressor is set
to shut of at 175psi and come on at 135psi. If I manually shut the
compressor off at less than 135 psi., the HF drain seems to work. I'm
thinking of putting in a stiffer spring in the HF valve to see if it
will then operate at the higher pressures..Either way at least I get
draining occuring on intial startup when the tank pressure is less
than 135psi., so for $8 bucks it's probably worth it. I ditched the
HF fittings/hose from the kit and used Swagelok fittings..

I wouldn't depend on the HF drain at that pressure - my quincy is set to 160
psi - the HF drain device failed immediately - the pressure blew the o-rings
through the drain - suggest you don't use it