Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ms ms is offline

Default Cleaning a movie dvd

ms wrote in :

The used movie dvd looked IMO clean, no scratches, very clean, even
viewed at a angle, could see nothing.

I played it and got, I believe, an unusual problem.

A scene in a lighted room, the lighting is bright as you would expect,
but a moment later, the lighting dims, then brightens again. This
repeated at random intervals during the viewing. The movie was "The
Man in the Grey Flannel Suit", and that was not in the movie.

I replaced it with another movie dvd, it played fine.

I washed the problem dvd in plain water, let it air dry. Now it has
water spots. Haven't tried to play it again.

What is a safe way to clean a movie dvd at home?

And, is a dirty dvd the problem in the above results?

ms

Thanks to all. I should have mentioned, this is a commercial DVD, the
garage seller bought new, the dvd has the expected label side. So IMO
it' original.

I will try distilled water as a wash.

ms