Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Cleaning a movie dvd

bz writes:

ms wrote in :

The used movie dvd looked IMO clean, no scratches, very clean, even
viewed at a angle, could see nothing.

I played it and got, I believe, an unusual problem.

A scene in a lighted room, the lighting is bright as you would expect,
but a moment later, the lighting dims, then brightens again. This
repeated at random intervals during the viewing. The movie was "The Man
in the Grey Flannel Suit", and that was not in the movie.

I replaced it with another movie dvd, it played fine.

I washed the problem dvd in plain water, let it air dry. Now it has
water spots. Haven't tried to play it again.

What is a safe way to clean a movie dvd at home?

And, is a dirty dvd the problem in the above results?

ms

A 'used' movie DVD? Could it be a bootleg DVD?

Some protection schemes cause brightness variations.
For example, if you play a DVD back and try to record it on a VCR or play
through a VCR, you will see the brightness cycling from dark to viewable.

Listen to what they are saying. A DVD is a digital media. Dirt may
cause drop-outs, noise, pixellation, jumping or skipping frames or more, or
even lock up the player. It isn't likely to produce variations in scene
brightness.